CAAND providing free confidential independent impartial advice for everyone
home page about CAAND how to access advice at CAAND get advice online what should I bring to an appointment? debt advice volunteer with CAAND CAAND specialist clinics
advice line 03001239287

What to bring to the CAAND office when you come for advice!

You should not delay seeking advice even if you haven't got all the information listed below. In some cases there may be only a limited time in which to take certain action.

When you visit Community Advice Ards and North Down for advice it is important that the adviser who deals with your problem has as much information about your issue as possible. It may take longer to deal with your issue if you cannot provide the relevant information.

This page lists the kind of information you should try to bring with you to CAAND.

If you haven't got everything that's shown, don't worry - bring as much as you can find.

It's sometimes important to get help as soon as possible so please don't delay.

Table of contents

Debt/money problems

  • Details of your income

  • Details of all those that you owe money to (creditors) and how much - bring the latest statements
    and demands for payment

  • Copy of original loan agreements

  • Copy of any court papers

  • Details of income wage slips/benefit/tax credit details

  • Details of your household expenditure - how much you spend on food, transport, phone and energy bills etc

  • Copy of the latest correspondence you have received - e.g. letters from creditors.
Back to contents

Housing problems

  • Tenancy agreement/letters from your landlord (for rented accommodation)

  • Mortgage details (if you have one)

  • Title deeds (for owner occupiers)

  • Proof of income

  • Wage slips/benefit/tax credit details.
Back to contents

Employment problems

  • Copy of your employment contract

  • Details of any disciplinary/grievance/dismissal issues

  • Any recent letters from employers

  • Staff handbook

  • Copy of employment tribunal applications - if you have made any

  • Proof of income wage slips/benefit/tax credit details.
Back to contents

Consumer problems

  • Full details of the goods or services causing the problem

  • Copy of any contracts/credit agreements

  • Any recent letters in connection with the problem

  • Proof of purchase - such as receipt or credit card slip

  • Proof of income - wage slips/benefit/tax credit details.
Back to contents

Family and personal issues

  • Any paperwork/letters relating to the issue

  • Copy of original agreements

  • Proof of income - wage slips/benefit/tax credit details

  • Copy of divorce papers

  • Court documents or legal agreements
Back to contents

Welfare benefit issues

  • National Insurance number

  • All letters from government departments, such as the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
    e.g. Jobcentre, Pension Service, or the local authority

  • Decision letters that you are not happy with or wish to challenge – this is essential

  • Proof of income - wage slips/benefit/tax credit/details

  • Bank statement (latest copy)

  • Details of any savings

  • Tenancy agreement/mortgage details
Back to contents

Welfare benefit check

If you would like us to check that you are receiving the benefits and tax credits to which you are
entitled, please bring the following information for everyone living in your home.

  • Dates of birth

  • Employment status (including whether employed or self employed)

  • Number of hours worked

  • Gross income from employment for last tax year – April 6 to April 5 (A P60 form will provide this, or if self employed, last year’s accounts)

  • Gross income for this year. Payslip is preferred. Estimate if self employed

  • If you are receiving benefits at present, please bring all the benefit award letters

  • Child care costs. Please bring something to show that the carer is fully approved along with how much you pay them

  • Investment income. Details of investments and latest interest payments. Bank statements
    may be the best way to show this

  • Rental agreement or current mortgage repayment

  • Current rates bill
Back to contents

Immigration/asylum problems

  • All letters from Home Office

  • Passport (if applicable), details of any visas or permits

  • Proof of income/NASS support - wage slips/benefit/tax/credit details
Back to contents

Other problems

Any paperwork/letters/other correspondence relating to the issue.

Back to contents

Community Advice Ards and North Down ards and north down bourough council depeartment for communities macmillan
Company Limited by Guarantee. Registered in NI No. 33560
Registered Charity No. NIC101425
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. FRN: 616962